By: Kipp Branch
TheSouthernSportsEdition.com news services
As you look around the Southern college football landscape you see the Alabama, Clemson, Florida, and Georgia’s of the world playing a very good brand of football, but you can also look around and see some programs not performing very well.
We have a few programs in our geographical region that currently look like dumpster fires. Let’s take a look at my top five programs that have fallen on hard times.
- Georgia Tech: The Jackets were number one on this list two years ago. Now they are about remove themselves from lists like this. Georgia Tech is doing the right things to not be included on lists like this much longer.
Teams 1-4 on this list need to follow the Jacket blueprint. The Jackets land here as a motivational tool for 2021.
- Florida State: My how the mighty have fallen. This once proud football program has sunk to an all-time low.
Gone are the days of ruling the ACC with an iron fist, and now we see FSU backing out of playing home games against Clemson and using Covid-19 as an excuse after Clemson had already made the trip.
FSU used to be a recruiting machine and now they fight Georgia Southern and South Alabama for 3-star athletes.
FSU will be back eventually but how in the hell should a program of this magnitude ever appear on a list like this? It cost Clemson $250K to travel to Tallahassee for a pre-game meal, but they got to see a top five dumpster fire in person.
- South Carolina: Are you starting to see a pattern of the SEC East yet?
South Carolina is a State with good high school football, Columbia is 80 miles from Charlotte and less than 3 hours from Atlanta. The recruiting base is there.
South Carolina’s biggest problem is that they are Clemson’s little brother and they can’t shake that label.
You mention that to the fan base and they get fighting mad. How can Clemson be so good and South Carolina be so bad currently? I just don’t get it and many football observers in the south don’t either.
Will Shane Beamer fix this dumpster fire?
- Vanderbilt: Vandy has never been very good in football. We all understand that the academic prestige of Vanderbilt presents some competitive challenges for this fine University.
Derek Mason has been fired and been replaced by Clark Lea from Notre Dame.
Vandy needs to get back to work of becoming a competitive football team. The Commodores did not win a football game in 2020, and decided they were just not going to show up and play Georgia in their final game of the season. That mentality alone has to go and makes Vandy a dumpster fire.
- Tennessee: How did we get here Vol fans? You are the biggest dumpster fire in college football currently. A ten-year-old boy and Tennessee fan asked his father “What is it like to beat Alabama dad?” Dad answered “I don’t know son we are Vol fans.”
Tennessee just suffered through the worst decade of football in its proud history. Six head coaches in 12 years.
Now apparently Tennessee has as many as 30 level 1 and level 2 major recruiting violations. Rumors of giving away cash in McDonald’s bags and so on.
Due to NCAA sanctions forthcoming it may be 2025-26 until Tennessee has a full complement of scholarships to offer (they could lose up to 30 over next 4 years).
This program is about to be on life support. Tennessee is having a mass exodus via the transfer portal.
Memphis is the best college football program in the State of Tennessee right now.
Damn, just damn, Big Orange nation you are the biggest dumpster fire in all of college football.